Today’s Recipe: Root Vegetable Fritters
Yield: 20 Fritters
- 2 medium (1 pound) russet potatoes, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into wedges
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper, plus more for topping
- ½ tsp baking powder
- canola oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp fresh dill sprigs
- Grate potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and onion in a food processor fitted with a large shredding blade. Transfer mixture to a clean dish towel, and squeeze well to remove excess liquid; discard liquid. Transfer potato mixture to a large bowl. Add flour, egg, salt, pepper, and baking powder; stir well.
- Preheat oven to 200° F. Pour oil to a depth of about 1⁄3 inch in a large skillet; heat over medium-high. Working in batches, drop spoonfuls (about 2 1⁄2 tablespoons each) of batter into skillet, leaving 2 inches between. Using the back of a spoon, gently flatten batter into disks. Cook, flipping once, until golden brown and crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Place fritters on a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Transfer fritters to a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet, and keep warm in the preheated oven while frying remaining batches.
- Arrange fritters on a serving platter; top evenly with sour cream and dill. Sprinkle with black pepper.
Visit the Country Store and find items to add to your kitchen collection.