Today’s Recipe: Roasted Baby Artichokes with Parsley and Mint
Roasted Baby Artichokes with Parsley and Mint
Yield: 4 Servings
- 3 quarts water
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 pounds fresh small or baby artichokes
- 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp finely chopped garlic cloves
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ½ tsp flaky sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
- lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Stir together 3 quarts water and lemon juice in a large bowl. Working with 1 artichoke at a time, pull off outer leaves until you reach the paler, tender inner leaves; discard outer leaves. Cut off and discard top ½ inch of any sharp leaves remaining. Cut artichoke in half lengthwise; scoop out and discard fuzzy thistle and any hard leaves inside artichoke heart. Place artichoke halves in lemon water in a bowl. Repeat process with remaining artichokes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large oven-safe skillet over high. Remove artichokes from lemon water, and quickly pat dry. Using long tongs, carefully arrange artichokes, cut sides down, in a single layer in a skillet (oil may splatter). Cook, undisturbed, until cut sides of artichokes are golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Carefully transfer skillet to preheated oven. Roast until artichoke edges are crispy, about 7 minutes. Return hot skillet to stovetop over medium heat; add garlic and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Stir in wine and salt. Let mixture come to a boil; cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is almost completely evaporated and artichokes are tender; 1 to 2 minutes. (If artichokes are not tender, add an additional ¼cup water to mixture; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 1 to 2 minutes.)
- Transfer artichokes to a platter. Sprinkle evenly with parsley and mint, and season with salt; drizzle with remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Serve warm or at room temperature with lemon wedges.
Artichokes can be prepared through step 1 and chilled up to 1 day.