Today’s Recipe: Fruit and Nut Energy Bars
Yield: 12 Bars
- 1 cup walnuts
- ¼ cup raw sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 3 cups pitted prunes
- ⅓ cup freeze-dried strawberries, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with 2 crisscrossed pieces of parchment paper, leaving a 4-inch overhang on all sides.
- Spread walnuts and sunflower seeds in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes. Add coconut to the baking sheet in an even layer. Return to oven and bake until coconut is golden and fragrant; about 3 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, process oats and salt in a food processor until finely ground; transfer to a small bowl.
- Add prunes and process until smooth paste forms, about 2 minutes. Add oats and cooled walnut mixture and pulse, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed, until well combined but pieces of walnuts are still visible; about 15 pulses.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan and fold the overhanging parchment over the top. Press mixture firmly and evenly into pan using a flat-bottomed measuring cup. Top with strawberries, pressing lightly to adhere.
- Refrigerate until set, about 20 minutes. Using the overhanging parchment paper, carefully lift the mixture out of the pan. Cut into 12 bars. Store tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Visit the Country Store and find items to add to your kitchen collection.