Today’s Recipe: Cacio e Pepe Pasta with Peas
This is an easy dish to make with your kids or grandkids. The children can help by stirring the pasta water and cheese.
Cacio e Pepe Pasta with Peas
Yield: 4 Servings
- 8 ounces dried tagliatelle or pappardelle
- 2 cups peas
- ¾ cup grated pecorino cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp ground pepper, plus more for serving
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and peas and cook until the pasta is just tender 3 to 4 minutes. Reserve 1 ½ cups cooking water and drain the pasta and peas.
- Combine pecorino and Parmesan in a small bowl.
- Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add pepper and salt and cook for 1 minute. Carefully pour in ¾ cup of the cooking water and simmer until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Add the pasta and peas; remove from heat.
- Slowly stir in ½ cup of the cheese mixture. Toss, adding more of the cooking water as needed, until well coated, about 2 minutes. Serve with the remaining ½ cup cheese and more pepper, if desired.