Yield: 4 Servings
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp water, divided
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt, divided
- 2 cups matchstick-cut carrots
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup uncooked black lentils
- 1 (7 ounce) bunch lacinato kale, stemmed and chopped¾
- 2 tbsp creamy almond butter
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- Stir together vinegar, ½ cup water, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt in a saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium. Place carrots in a glass bowl. Add vinegar mixture; let stand 1 hour.
- Bring stock, lentils, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt to a boil in a saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to medium and simmer until lentils are tender, about 45 minutes. Stir in kale. Remove from heat; cover and let stand until kale is slightly wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Stir together almond butter, lemon juice, sesame oil, soy sauce, and garlic in a bowl. Whisk in 1 tablespoon water. If necessary, whisk in remaining water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
- Drain carrots. Place ¾ cup lentil mixture in each of 4 bowls. Top evenly with pickled carrots and avocado. Drizzle with almond sauce.