Filipino Grilled Pork Chops
Yield: 4 Servings
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 bone-in pork blade chops (½-inch thick; 6-7 oz each)
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 bunches scallions, trimmed
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil, plus more for the grill
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- Combine the vinegar, soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, red pepper flakes and garlic in a medium bowl and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Transfer ¼ cup sauce to a small bowl and set aside for serving.
- Combine the pork chops and remaining sauce in a 1-gallon zip-top bag. Squeeze in the lemon juice and add the squeezed lemon halves; seal the bag. Let marinate 20 minutes at room temperature, massaging the pork every 5 minutes. Toss the scallions with the vegetable oil on a plate and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice as the label directs. Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high.
- Remove the pork chops from the marinade, pat dry and season with salt and pepper. Oil the grill or grill pan, add the pork and grill until just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate to rest. Grill the scallions, turning, until marked and wilted; 1 to 2 minutes. Divide the rice, scallions and pork chops among plates. Serve with the reserved sauce.