Servings: 50 Crackers
- 8 ounces extra sharp white cheddar cheese, finely shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup fine plain white cornmeal
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup cold butter, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 3 tbsp water
- Process cheese, flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, salt, dry mustard, and pepper in a food processor until combined, about 5 seconds. Add butter, and process until mixture resembles wet sand, about 20 seconds. With processor running, add water through food chute; process until dough forms a ball, 10 to 15 seconds.
- Divide dough in half, and shape each half into a 6-inch log, about 1 3⁄4 inches in diameter. Wrap logs individually in plastic wrap; chill at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 350°F with oven racks in upper and lower thirds. Unwrap logs, and slice into 1⁄8-inch-thick rounds. Place dough rounds, 1⁄2 inch apart, on 2 parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven until edges are golden brown, about 14 minutes, rotating baking sheets top to bottom halfway through bake time. Cool crackers on baking sheets 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, about 20 minutes.
Pimiento Cheese Shortbrad Crackers
Prepare recipe as directed in Step 1, substituting finely shredded sharp yellow Cheddar cheese for extra-sharp white Cheddar. Knead 1⁄4 cup diced, well-drained pimientos and 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh chives into dough. Proceed with recipe as directed in Steps 2 through 4. Pecan-and-Thyme Shortbread Crackers
Prepare recipe as directed in Step 1. Knead 1⁄2 cup finely chopped toasted pecans and 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme into dough. Proceed with recipe as directed in Steps 2 through 4. Bacon, Bourbon, and Benne Seed Shortbread Crackers
Prepare recipe as directed in Step 1, adding 1 Tbsp. dark brown sugar with cheese mixture and substituting bourbon for water. Knead 1⁄2 cup chopped cooked bacon into dough. Proceed with recipe as directed in Steps 2 and 3, rolling dough logs in 1⁄3 cup benne seeds before wrapping and chilling. Just before baking, sprinkle 2 Tbsp. benne seeds evenly over dough rounds. Proceed as directed in Step 4.